A B O U T
India | Spain | USA
Dani is an avid moviegoer, and loves to chat about film. He speaks five languages, yet thinks that visual language is universal. Born in Andalucía, the land of Lorca, Picasso and Valdelomar, he lives and works in between Los Angeles, India and Spain.
With laurels for his cinematography from the European Cinematography Awards, HatchFest, New York Cinematography Awards, Asian Cinematography Awards, and Los Angeles Film Festival Awards, as well as 3 Indian National Academy Awards, Dani lends his eye to films that aim to push for a version of reality in which we can understand the other. Diversity, Equality, Human Rights are at the core of his numerous fiction and non-fiction features. Mahanati (The Great Actress), Virataparvam, Miseducation of Bindu, Duende, The Journey Within Coke Studio, or HEAL are well known, and Polar or Chukkers will hit your screens soon.
He also works as Director/DOP for commercials and music videos. His clients include T-Series, Samsung, Estrella Galicia, Times of India, Robe or Yash Raj Films.
"@buddhistandqueer: The Path from Sarees to Robes", marks his documentary directorial debut.
- Mecal, International Short and Animation Film Festival - WINNER GRAND PRIX DOCUMENTARY and EL PERIODICO AUDIENCE AWARD
- LesGaiCineMad – WINNER BEST SHORT DOCUMENTARY AWARD (candidate to the Spanish Cinema Awards: Goya).
- Diversimacine Festival – WINNER BEST SOCIAL SHORT DOCUMENTARY.
- Festival Casa del Reloj Matadero Madrid – WINNER JURY PRIZE FOR BEST SHORT FILM.
- Festival La Fila – WINNER JURY PRIZE FOR BEST SHORT FILM.
- FICAA, CDMX – WINNER BEST INTERNATIONAL SHORT DOCUMENTARY.
- Arequipa Audiovisual y Cine Festival, Perú – WINNER BEST SHORT DOCUMENTARY.
- Cinema Nahualli, Mérida México - WINNER AUDIENCE AWARD FOR BEST FILM.
- Meihodo International Youth Visual Media Festival, Kyushu, Japan – OUTSTANDING DOCUMENTARY FILM.
- CortoEspaña - FINALIST FUGAZ AWARD FOR BEST SHORT DOCUMENTARY.
- Carmen Awards from the Andalusian Film Academy – NOMINATED FOR BEST SHORT DOCUMENTARY.
- ASECAN Awards – NOMINATED FOR BEST SHORT FILM.
Dani studied Film and Visual Arts in Chapman University, Cornell University, the UK and Spain thanks to scholarships like La Caixa Fellowship. He enjoys sharing what he knows in workshops for institutions like FTII (Film and Television Institute of India), Chapman University, University of California Irvine, or NYFA in the USA, Sanjan Institute in Lahore, or UNIA and UCA in Spain.
Dani also exhibits his work in the museum space, with series like #rituals, River of Ashes, Transmission or Projections.
Dani SaLO, AEC